Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I'm Alive

You'll never grasp the understanding of being alive until you've kill something that potentially could have killed you. Technology and remembering to maintain technology are what saved me. I smelled death, tragedy, loss, ruin, and destruction in that late, cool evening. It could have been too late if it weren't for the alarm. I didn't run down the stairs. I floated, never remembering or feeling the steps beneath my feet. Even before the amber spikes appeared to me, I saw the glowing reflection off the wall of the stairway. In one frozen incarnation, I removed myself from the moment and every intimate hue of a fireplace I could remember flashed through my mind. A contrast that - for a fraction of a breath - couldn't have been more at odds.

Amazingly, I was as calm as ever. I tried smothering the beast with the very object it was burning, but struggled to make any progress. Seconds ticked by and I knew it only takes seconds for it to lose control, turning this beast into an unstoppable monster. Fire extinguisher? No. Kitchen rug? Yes! I grabbed it and threw it over and snubbed that little devil out. I took a moment and realized, I could have lost everything. The ones I love. The house I fought to keep. Sentimental possessions. My own life.

The fire was not big at all, but I know I'm lucky. I've never REALLY felt like anyone or anything was looking out for me until this moment. I feel like I've been straightened out. I feel like a mouth that just sucked in its first gulp of air after spitting out mouthwash. This fire ignited the self-awareness of being alive. My pulse means something again.

No comments: